I’m currently working on two (OK, after the response to this post, maybe three) new women’s patterns, the first of which will be going into testing very soon! The newest one is called the “Ruby Dress and Top Sewing Pattern” and is based on the Arrow Dress that got such a positive response from everyone when I posted it a couple of months ago. It’s a simple design, and it’s so easy to sew! The pattern will include both a dress and a top length. I’m really excited about it, and I hope other people will be excited to sew it, too!!

This print (on the lower half) is part of the “Indian Summer” collection from Sarah Watson for Art Gallery fabrics. The entire line is absolutely adorable, but I really like this modern triangle-based design, especially in this lovely shade of blue-green. I made the yoke out of a white voile, so it would be a bit on the sheer side.

Even though this particular fabric falls into the “quilting cotton” category which generally is OK (but not fantastic) when it comes to sewing garments, I have to say that Art Gallery prints their fabrics on one of the most lovely, lightweight, smooth cotton substrates out there. I am actually starting to avoid many of the quilting cottons on the market right now, because they are terribly beefy-thick and drape poorly when made into clothing. Art Gallery’s cottons, though, have the unique characteristic of being soft, light, and silky both when you purchase them AND after you wash them. This is truly a rare thing, since most other quilting cottons lose those features once they go through the wash. Much to my chagrin, may I add, since I often buy quilting prints hoping to make them into clothes. I promised at one point to write a whole post about quilting cottons, so I’ll put together my list of favorite quilting cottons when it comes to sewing garments soon.

Anyway, I love my new top! Look for the Ruby Dress pattern soon!!!

This blog is proudly sponsored by
Categories: clothes for women, patterns

56 Responses to Introducing the Ruby Top

1. patty Gerlacher says:

Wow!! your designs are so simple and beautiful…I can´t wait!!

2. Alexia says:

How do you choose your testers? I love this!

3. shannon says:

So excited!!!!!!! Art Gallery Fabrics are some of my fave to sew garments with! the Pima Cotton has such a lovely hand!

4. Love it! Looking forward to the pattern.

5. Megan says:

Nice!

I have the Indian Summer Menagerie print waiting to be made into a Scout tee. I like the Art Gallery softness, thanks for letting me know it will stay soft after washing…

6. Megan says:

This looks like another great showcase for awesome prints (which is my favorite thing about the Washi)! I’ll love that about your patterns. I have some fabric lined up for a tiny pocket tank, but I may have to to hold on to it until this pattern comes out :)

7. Laura says:

I love this!

8. Cara says:

I want! I want! Can’t wait for the pattern.

9. Sara Speight says:

Can’t wait to see the pattern!

10. Millie says:

Awesome top…I have been looking for a top to sew for myself, this one would be perfect. Id love to be a tester :)

11. Trine says:

Gorgeous!!! I would LOVE to test this pattern :-)

~ Trine

12. Renee says:

interesting fabric. I thought it was knit at first, until you mentioned it was quilting cotton, so it must be awesome.

13. anna says:

lovely! I’ve got so many tops like that in my wardrobe right now (and sketched in my notebook to make someday). Love the classic style. You are prolific, Rae takes over the world!

14. Mary says:

Can I sign up to be a tester? Just so I can get my hands on your patterns sooner? Love!

15. Jenn says:

Would love to test for you!

16. Cait says:

Hooray! LOVED the arrow dress when I first saw it. I am a total novice but would love to volunteer to test a pattern, if you’re looking!

17. Jessica says:

Holy moly Rae, I love this! Had to come see more after I saw your IG preview :)

18. Lauren says:

Wow looks awesome. If you need a pattern tester I’d love to help. If not I anxiously await the release! Lauren

19. Amanda says:

There is something so nice about beautiful clothes that aren’t overworked! Lovely top, I can’t wait to see the dress and of course,who wouldn’t want to test this top??!! :)

20. Kristy says:

I would buy both top/dress patterns too:-)

21. Meagan H. says:

Ooo, can’t wait for this and the tomato top! I need some new “shell” style blouses for fall. I feel like this would be relatively easy to do a FBA on as well.

22. Meremade says:

I would buy that pattern in a heartbeat!!!

23. Becki says:

Beautiful top! I am looking forward to your post on quilting cottons, for many of the reasons you’ve stated. It does feel like they’ve gotten heavier and heavier, doesn’t it? I wonder why that is…

24. Cindy Molnar says:

Rae – I love coming to your blog and seeing your creations. Your patterns are fantastic and I just love your tops. I think the one that I love the most is a early version of the washi in the Liberty fabric. I know several years old but still so stunning. I hope to meet you when you come to Columbus!

25. EmSewCrazy says:

This is super cute! I wish I liked myself better in sleeveless tops. I’m looking forward to your post on using quilting cottons for clothes.

26. Catherine says:

I love this! Add me to the list of more than willing testers – this would be an awesome foray into garment sewing for myself. So far I’ve only made clothes for the kiddos!

27. thinkmilly says:

Will there be options for sleeves (cap sleeves or something along those lines?).
    Also, I know there are resources out there for adjust for plus sizes, but any chance you might give it a go, since it looks like it’s a style that might lend itself easily to this?
    Thank you Rae and thank you for making sewing a real joy in my life again!

28. CaymanAli says:

YESSSS! Nice work Ray, can’t wait to see the pattern.

29. Jill says:

Pretty! And thanks for the tip on art gallery fabrics. I’ve always loved their prints … just one more reason to buy. :)

30. Venus says:

LOVE! Oh I hope this too comes in “Venus” size! If you need pattern testers, I am at your service. Otherwise I’ll be waiting to buy this baby!

31. carolyn says:

oh GOOD very excited about this pattern!!!!

32. Jacqui says:

Are you going to do this as a paper pattern too Rae? If so would love to stock this in our shop as well as your Washi pattern which has been really, really, popular here in England.

33. As said above, I’d be a tester just to get my mitts on it sooner. You hadn’t said anything after that epic post so I was worried you weren’t going to make a pattern for this. You’ve made my day!

34. Su-Yin says:

Hooray! I’ve made 5 washis so far and would love to test this too! Um, I have an enormous bust, so not sure if that would count me out or in… Judging from the washi, you’re in favour of women of all sizes and shapes, so can’t wait to see this.

35. Jes says:

Love the top and definitely looking forward to the pattern. BTW any chance you may visit Fort Collins on the “world tour”? There is a great fabric shop here!

36. Ashley says:

Love it. If you need another tester I would love to sew a few of these!

37. Paulette says:

If you are looking for any plus sized testers I would love to try this out. It looks so lovely and simple!

38. Sounds like you should run a competition for testers! lol i’d volunteer too!
    Whats the over pattern you are working on? you mentioned 2?

39. Rebecca Holmes says:

Gorgeous! I love it!

40. Tammie says:

Can I pester you for the green pin tuck top as well? Love your patterns :)

41. Karen says:

Im going to start being a fabric stalker! Love this top and fabric. Can’t wait for the pattern!

42. B Lawson says:

I’d also like to volunteer myself for testing this pattern for you. :)

43. erin says:

oh, I was hoping you’d make a pattern based on that dress! this is ador-a-ble!!!

44. Kat says:

I love this top! And also, I can’t keep this inside any longer: I have twin girls named Ruby and Clementine. I just couldn’t not tell you!!

45. Meagan says:

I love this top! I have never been a pattern tester before, but would love to test it if you need more people.

46. atia says:

this is a great top, would love to test too if you need anyone. I find the organic quilting cottons e.g. cloud 9 are generally better for garments too – slightly thinner and drapier

47. Melanie says:

I agree regarding Art Gallery. They have a smooth crisp hand. I also like Moda which is soft and a little drapy. Otherwise, I skip quilting cotton too. It’s just too stiff and thick.

48. Hannah says:

Love this top, this is just my sort of thing. Look forward to seeing the dress and having a go at the pattern when it’s available.

49. Sarah says:

Love this top, love Art Gallery fabric – in fact I’ve the perfect AG fabric for this top.
    If you need another pattern tester……. count me in!!! Would love to test for you.

50. Laura says:

So pretty. I have this fabric in the peach and the plan is to turn it into a top for me. I love the white contrast.

51. Linda Armenti says:

I think you’re the perfect person to put out the tops as sewing patterns! Can’t wait. I have one request though. I don’t like wearing sleeveless tops. As a woman of 56 (today as a matter of fact) I would like to learn how to put in a little cap sleeve or something to bring it over the shoulder a bit to cover that under piece of arm and the underarm itself.

52. louise says:

This looks great! I have a tank that’s kinda similar that I have been wanting to make a pattern out of. but haven’t. Love yours!

53. dana says:

this is gorgeous Rae! love love love it

54. Meg says:

Another call for sleeves, if possible. It’s such a cute style that I’d hate to have to cover up with a sweater every time.