Check out my new green maxi skirt! It’s basically a long variation of two other shorter skirts I made with pockets this year (this one and this one). I wanted to see what would happen if I used a more flowy fabric instead of the quilting cotton. And it’s DEFINITELY flowy. And full. I feel like a giant green goddess when I wear it. But it’s very summery and comfortable.

I found this fabric in the shirting section at Haberman Fabrics here in Michigan. It seems lighter than a shirting, though; I think it probably falls into the voile or lawn category (I talk more about garment fabrics in this post). I love that it has a silky sheen to it and it’s very lightweight…one of those fabrics that you just have to feel. It’s lovely.

As far as the pattern goes, more than a few people have already asked me if I can turn this skirt into a pattern or a tutorial of some sort, but I’m struggling with that a bit because it’s made-to-measure, so there really aren’t any pattern pieces. It’s basically four rectangles (six if you make it with pockets, eight if you make it with the contrast band at the bottom), so it’s far easier just to figure out how big those rectangles are based on your measurements and cut them out with a rotary cutter and ruler rather than waste time and paper taping together giant rectangular pattern pieces. So is it a pattern? Ummm? Right now it’s a set of instructions and diagrams and a worksheet. So it’s almost a pattern, just without any pattern pieces. A printable tutorial? Anyway, for now it’s just a class I’m teaching in person (this Thursday at Pink Castle, woot!!), until I figure a way to make it into something more widely available. Your thoughts are welcomed.

This blog is proudly sponsored by
Categories: clothes for women, for Rae

22 Responses to Green maxi skirt with pockets

1. Nina says:

I’d love a tutorial for this – so retro-chic! And pockets! Yes please!

2. Samina says:

What a happy green color! Please add my vote for a tutorial, too. I can make the pattern pieces, but I need a bit of direction as to where to go.

3. Kelly says:

This is fantastic, I love it! Although I have seen patterns like this I would probably not buy one, thinking I could figure it out on my own…BUT- if someone were to offer a printable tutorial with different options included at a reasonable price, I would be all over it just so I wouldn’t have to figure it out on my own :)

4. Janome Gnome says:

I’d love to see how you made it. Either a text and photo post, another video tutorial, or a quick sketch and run-through. Depends how easy each is for you to do. I definitely appreciated seeing the Washi lining tutorial on video, with it all taking shape in front of me. But if it’s more work for you, or you don’t enjoy doing them as much, then I can see why you’d save that for the teaching that really really benefits from a video. On the other hand, it might obfuscate the need for lots of sketches/photos/a pattern and be quicker. The sketch you did for the angel top was pretty popular, if I recall. And I guess that would have been quicker than a pattern or a full fancy tutorial. I don’t know about the others, but I appreciate whatever teaching and ideas you can send our way. I would definitely put my vote for prioritising your time and efforts into the hardest stuff, like the additional resources for the Washi dress, which I for one really appreciated, and then feeling free to cut back on the bells and whistles on less detail-critical projects. We’re grateful for it all!

5. Jennifer says:

Beautiful!! I for one love the fact that this is more process than pattern :) Wish I could attend the Pink Castle class….

6. Kelli says:

LOVE it! especially with those shoes. perfection in a summer skirt.

7. Tammia says:

I love not having to mess with pattern pieces…a tutorial with how-to’s would be perfect. I’ve pretty much lived in maxi skirts this summer (I’ve made a few of AMH’s “skirting the issue” pattern in maxi-length) and would love a new and different variation!

8. Kirbie says:

I think a tutorial would be AWESOME! :)

9. Ana says:

Tutorial, yes, yes, yes! :)

10. whiterabbit11 says:

YES a tutorial, but maybe you could charge to download it, to make it worth your time and hassle? :)

11. Alison L. says:

Tutorial Please!!!!!!

12. Red says:

I found this tutorial http://www.japanesesewingbooks.com/2013/04/30/free-pattern-and-tutorial-skirt-with-pockets/ Not to worry, it’s in English

Is it very different from your process?

Yeah that one is really cute, but it’s not quite the same; it’s specific for one size, mine is made to measure, and the front of the skirt waistband on mine is flat, not gathered. Also my pocket is all in one piece, not in two pieces…so it’s an easier construction for the pocket, slightly more complicated construction for the rest of the skirt. BUT that is definitely a similar design!!

13. TLK says:

Yes to both the tutorial and to skirts with pockets!

14. Sara says:

A tutorial with a pocket pattern would be great! I really struggle with getting the right size for pockets (both for me and my kiddo) so that hands fit in but they don’t hang to the knee :) something along the lines of the easy peasy skirt with pockets tutorial on everything etsy would be a super valuable reference for all us newbies!

15. Anne says:

I think you could easily put together a tutorial or “instructions for sale” option with your made to measure technique. I made a dress for my daughter last year that had no pattern pieces, just guidelines for cutting different size rectangles with a rotary cutter based on your child’s size and instructions for assembling everything. I would love some more detailed instruction, especially for the waist band and pockets! You look gorgeous!

16. Red says:

I just bought the 1000 Cranes fabric to make your skirt. Those pockets are the detail I really want; the flat front waistband is nice too.

I was going to use the JapanesenSewingBooks tutorial to make up my own, but if you’re going to offer a pattern or recipe like Tilly and the Buttons did for the Picnic Blanket Skirt, then I’ll wait.

17. Anna says:

Rae, maybe you could look into teaching this class through either Creative Bug or Craftsy. I think it would be a great project for the video platform!

18. Rachel says:

Would love to see this as a tutorial! Or some other method that makes it more widely available to those of us on the other side of the world!

19. Jacinta says:

a tutorial would be great! :)

20. oooo I love this so much! You look gorgeous in green. Would definitely like to make one, maybe in a nani iro stripe!

21. Carrie says:

Would love, love a tutorial for this one!!