Another knit maternity top today! See how big the belly is getting? Fun fun!! I made this swingy raglan style tee with 3/4 sleeves and a drapey cowl neck last year but it wasn’t very flattering on my non-pregnant self. Definitely works as a maternity top though! The fabric is a peach bamboo jersey (purchased at Field’s Fabrics) that is so stretchy and comfortable.

Though…I should mention that I don’t buy many bamboo fabrics anymore since it’s really hard to tell whether they’ve been manufactured with a closed-loop chemical process. Bamboo is easy to grow organically due to the fact that it’s basically an invasive weed, but the chemical process that turns bamboo into a woven fiber can be an environmental nightmare depending on how it’s manufactured. Anyway I basically know nothing about it so it’s like the blind leading the blind here. TANGENT!

I supposedly have exactly one month to go until my due date today, which I must admit is a bit anxiety-inducing. I had a major manic nesting binge this weekend where I washed all of the baby clothes and got out the cloth diapers and performed inventory on the baby checklist. Still can’t find the baby monitor. Need to open the new infant carseat box yet. Probably should pack the hospital bag and all that. Pictures need to be hung in the nursery. MUST PICK A NAME. You get the idea.

this is the look I give people who get in the way of the belly

And then…I have a few things I want to do with this blog before I take some time off for my maternity break, but I’m not sure how much I’ll actually get finished. I’d love to post some more baby sewing projects, I have a couple more knit tutorials I want to finish, and Jess and I have been talking a little about the Spring Top Sewalong!!! Jess can definitely run the sewalong here on the blog while I’m off (with small bits of input from me), so we’re thinking month of April if anyone is interested in a personal sewing challenge!! We’re also working on a new women’s sewing pattern that’s almost ready for testers, so that’s going to be fun too! Hmmm…a little ambitious do you think??

This blog is proudly sponsored by
Categories: knits, maternity

19 Responses to Knit Maternity Cowl Top

1. Susan says:

Ambitious? Nah! Bring it on!!!! :-D

2. Mirjam says:

Let’s hope your baby will not be born much earlier then expected, so you can do all those things you want to. Have fun during your maternity break. You look great in the pictures. It looks like this pregnancy makes you look younger! ;)

3. Melissa says:

hey if you need testers, this post-baby-lactating-body mama would love a go!

4. Caroline says:

Oh my days, how do you have so much energy?! I am 31.5 weeks with no.3 and am permanently exhausted! All I want to do is curl up on the sofa and knit…

5. angie says:

Oh love that belly mama! April is perfect top sew along month, we are heading to Turkey and the Mediterranean at the end of May so I’ll be needing some fabulous new tops as will by teen girly!

6. Angie says:

Sign me up for the sew along (and as a pattern tester if you ever need more). I have been wanting to sew more clothes for me and a sew along would be the perfect excuse :)

7. Ashley says:

You look fabulous, far better than I remember looking at 8 months pregnant. And the top looks so comfortable and perfect!

8. Michelle says:

You are one of the cutest pregnant ladies ever! I love that top.
    Looks great with that adorable belly!!
    ~Michelle

9. Hannah says:

Just wanted to let you know you look great! Cannot wait to meet your precious little bundle of joy (and learn their name of course)! :D

10. Sarah says:

Ambitous? Maybe!
    I’m up for a Spring Top Sewalong, and available if you ever need more pattern testers.

I wish I’d looking as good as you do at eight months pregnant, I was more along the lines of a whale! Good luck

11. Mareike says:

A new womens pattern??? Maybe similar to the tomato top???? That would be so great. I’m in love with that top but I#m afraid to try it on my own. So I hope your enthusiasm will not seek till your due date ;-)

12. Vanessa says:

I love the top! It’s so pretty and flattering. Much better than the men’s dress shirts I was wearing at 8 months. I’m all in for a spring top sewalong. I hope your project list includes a nap before baby arrives and you’re back on the 24-hour clock!

13. Sarah S says:

I wanted to say THANK YOU for posting all of your maternity tops. I’m expecting in June, and I’ve been pushing myself to make some of my own for my third pregnancy, as most of my clothing from the first one is the wrong season and is now on its third time through the wringer. Thanks for inspiring me to bust out of my safe zone!

14. sorahart says:

Are you moving into making more women’s patterns now? I’m just curious! I love your kids patterns and I’ve made many of them over and over. I was wondering if there were any new kid patterns on the Made By Rae horizon.
    Thanks!

hi hi! so once Bianca is finished the next pattern planned is children’s again, but yes, I’ve really been focusing on completing a nice portfolio of women’s tops/dresses before moving on to more kids!

15. tara says:

oh man, I thought bamboo was a safe bet for fabric *insert wailing emoji*
    Do you know what the Pickering fabric people use? I love their bamboo knits

heh I know. and then I accidentally bought that bamboo terry the other day (thought it was hemp)…oops! I have no idea what pickering uses??