Here’s one of the things I’ve been working on for the last couple of weeks — a pattern for y’all. It was a baby dress I made up last summer (and consequently inspired my first post here).
Here is the most recent version:
This dress is made with two fabrics, one for the outside and one for the lining. I also made my own bias tape out of the pinky-peach color, but it’s alot easier to just use store-bought bias tape and piping (which looks really nice around the waist).
The dress ties at the shoulders and is easiest to get on over the legs (as opposed to over the head). No zippers or buttonholes, so it’s ridiculously easy and fast to make.
One thing I want to stress about this pattern is that it really is VERY SMALL. Like so small it would probably sell as a preemie dress at a store, but as many of you know, often newborn babies are really really small and nothing fits them for that first month. So I was trying to make a pattern that would fit right from birth. Additionally, since they grow so fast in the beginning, it won’t fit for a terribly long time. The first one I made (for friend Carrie’s baby Avery) only fit for a few weeks.
So if you’re thinking you want to make this for a bigger baby I’d go ahead and just enlarge it on a copier. There’s a ton of give size-wise in the skirt though, so you could probably even get away with keeping the skirt the same size and just enlarging the bodice for a larger baby if you want. Happy Sewing!
READ THIS FIRST: This file is intended for PERSONAL USE ONLY. Please respect my wishes for the use of this pattern. Thanks! A license-to-sell is now available for home sewists, please click here to purchase it, or read more about my seller’s program here.
special thanks to Laura of Le Pecionate for translating the instructions into Italian for me!
- Having problems downloading? Most workplace computer systems block downloads, so if you’re having trouble you might need to download the file at home or from a different computer.
- LINKING UP: If you would like to link to this pattern, please link to this blog post only and NOT directly to the pattern. Thanks!
- Looking for the toddler version of this pattern? Click here. Note: Instructions are NOT included with the toddler version, just pattern pieces.
Sign up for my newsletter!
- ▼2014 (42)
- ▼April (9)
- Riding Peplum Pattern Giveaway from April Rhodes
- Lela Pattern Giveaway from Green Bee
- Megan Nielsen Patterns Giveaway
- Coco Pattern Giveaway from Tilly and the Buttons
- Lane Raglan Pattern Giveaway from Hey June
- Around here
- Announcing Spring Top Sewalong 2014
- Friday Flickr Roundup
- Meet Jess and her awesome Nani Iro Bianca
- ▶March (10)
- ▶February (11)
- ▶January (12)
- ▼April (9)
- ▶2013 (149)
- ▶2012 (169)
- ▶2011 (173)
- ▶2010 (130)
- ▶2009 (74)
- ▶2008 (59)
- ▶2007 (6)
- ▼2014 (42)