Here’s one of the things I’ve been working on for the last couple of weeks — a pattern for y’all. It was a baby dress I made up last summer (and consequently inspired my first post here).

Here is the most recent version:

This dress is made with two fabrics, one for the outside and one for the lining. I also made my own bias tape out of the pinky-peach color, but it’s alot easier to just use store-bought bias tape and piping (which looks really nice around the waist).

The dress ties at the shoulders and is easiest to get on over the legs (as opposed to over the head). No zippers or buttonholes, so it’s ridiculously easy and fast to make.

One thing I want to stress about this pattern is that it really is VERY SMALL. Like so small it would probably sell as a preemie dress at a store, but as many of you know, often newborn babies are really really small and nothing fits them for that first month. So I was trying to make a pattern that would fit right from birth. Additionally, since they grow so fast in the beginning, it won’t fit for a terribly long time. The first one I made (for friend Carrie’s baby Avery) only fit for a few weeks.

So if you’re thinking you want to make this for a bigger baby I’d go ahead and just enlarge it on a copier. There’s a ton of give size-wise in the skirt though, so you could probably even get away with keeping the skirt the same size and just enlarging the bodice for a larger baby if you want. Happy Sewing!

READ THIS FIRST: This file is intended for PERSONAL USE ONLY.  Please respect my wishes for the use of this pattern. Thanks! A license-to-sell is now available for home sewists, please click here to purchase it, or read more about my seller’s program here.

CLICK HERE TO DOWNLOAD THE PATTERN

CLICK HERE TO DOWNLOAD THE INSTRUCTIONS IN ITALIAN

special thanks to Laura of Le Pecionate for translating the instructions into Italian for me!

This blog is proudly sponsored by
  • Having problems downloading? Most workplace computer systems block downloads, so if you’re having trouble you might need to download the file at home or from a different computer.
  • LINKING UP:  If you would like to link to this pattern, please link to this blog post only and NOT directly to the pattern. Thanks!
  • Looking for the toddler version of this pattern? Click here. Note: Instructions are NOT included with the toddler version, just pattern pieces.
Categories: baby, itty bitty dress, patterns

218 Responses to (Free!) Itty Bitty Baby Dress Pattern

1. elli says:

yay for free patternage! Tell you what…if you make me an adult-sized version of that dress (preferably in the white fabric with the blue roses), I’ll just knit whatever the heck you are trying to make in the round. Do we have a deal?

2. Kelley says:

So cute! I always love your fabric choices. :-)

3. The Wooden Spool says:

that is sooo precious! And thanks for the pattern! SO CUTE! I love how yours turned out.

4. SpiderWomanKnits says:

Yay for knitting in the round! I knit for such a long time on straights before attempting DP’s. I remember my anxiety but you’ve got a great go-to with your sister.

That dress is SO cute, now if I can get over my fear of sewing like you got over yours of DP’s I’d give it a try ;-)

5. Oiyi says:

Thank you for the making the pattern available to all of us. It is so cute. This would make a cute summer dress for my little girl.

6. Deborah says:

Very cute dress, I love the fabric. I can’t wait to see what else you are making.

7. nova says:

Should any of my pregnant friends or relatives (of which there are suprisingly many) announce the expectation of girls, I will be making (or trying to make) this dress. I have yet to sew clothes, and I think this might be a good thing to try. Very nice, thank you for sharing the pattern.

8. Autum says:

Thanks so much for the pattern! I made one today for my first granddaughter (she’s due any day now). I haven’t taken a picture yet, but I’ll send you a link when I do.

9. Tonya says:

Thanks so much for making this pattern available, it is adorable! I have a friend who is pregnant for twin girls due in October. This will be the perfect gift : )

10. Aunt LoLo says:

Oh wow…I came from a link in Creative Daisy’s post today…and I LOVE LOVE LOVE that dress! I, my sister, my sister in law, and ALL of my friends are currently pregnant. Most of us don’t know if we’re having boys or girls, but I can tell you – the baby girls of only my best friends will be receiving this dress!!! You’re genius. I LOVE the ties at the top! THANK YOU!!! It’s like Christmas!

11. myrnie_twin says:

I’m with Aunt LoLo on this one (literally- I’m her sister :o ) This is an adorable dress! I’ve tried to make a few pieces of clothing for my 2-year-old daughter, but if this next one is a girl this will be first on my list!

12. Kristin says:

Found this pattern through Creative Little Daisy and I *LOVE* it!! I hope my next one is a girl JUST so i can make this dress! :)

Kristin :)

13. Grammy Mac says:

I also found this dress on Little Bity Daisy. Thanks soooooo much for sharing your pattern with us. I have several friends that are expecting babies in the next several months. All boys, except for one. Guess what she’ll be getting???

Thanks!
    Karen

14. Sally says:

many thanks for your free pattern.
    Sadly i wont be making it, as DD is 17! but have passed it on the lil sis who’d got two little girls, so hopefully she’ll get one or two made up in time for the summer. thanks again :)

15. little dresses says:

Very good tutorial!

16. Anna says:

Very cute. Thanks for sharing. I just may need to enlarge for my daughter. Although it’s been a while since I’ve sewn anything.

17. Nancy says:

Thank you for sharing this pattern. I’ll be using it to make clothing for charity.

18. Amber Passey says:

Thanks so much for the adorable pattern. I’m making this dress for my baby girl arriving in August and one for her older sister (2 in July.) I’m still working out enlarging it for my toddler (it currently drowns her a bit.) I’ll let you know how that goes.

19. anna w says:

Ooo! Thanks for the pattern! I’ve been mulling over how to make a dress for the wee one, but the only thing I had decided was to do ties on the shoulders (like your dress!). This will help so much with my summer sewing. Also, I looooove the material you chose. So sweet.

20. Princess of Everything (and then some) says:

Adorable tiny dress!

I made a purse out of the same fabric. Isn’t it wonderful!!

21. Maggie says:

Love that adorable pattern. Hope I can adjust it to fit a 2.5 year old!

• Robbie says:

Maggie,
      Could you take a bodice pattern in the size that you are wanting and trace it onto regular or tissue paper and then lay this pattern on top of it to make the bodice part.. The skirt should be fairly easy to create. Measure the child from waist to desired length plus hem allowance. Measure the small pattern at the waist. Lets just say it measures to be 6″. The skirt with is 18″. so multiply the waist x 3 to get the skirt width. Hope this helps. Happy sewing.

22. Andrea says:

Thanks for the pattern. Can you tell me what fabric this is? I’m dying to get my hands on some.

23. Rae says:

Thanks for all your kind words! The fabric was from JoAnn’s but I’m not sure if they still have it. Last time I was there they had the whole line on sale but they were out of this print left. Maybe it’s still around in some stores, but I’d hurry if you want to find it.

24. Jessica says:

I love the dress and the pattern! I can’t wait to find out whether my baby is a boy or girl…even if it’s a boy I’ll probably still enlarge the pattern and make it for my little niece.

Thanks!

25. Christie says:

Found you on Sew Mama Sew, thanks for sharing this pattern. I don’t have a little girl…or a little boy yet, but we’ll see if I miss my next period! LOL
    BTW, I’m having a contest that ends today, so stop by and make a comment!

26. Amber Passey says:

Here’s another comment. I finished the dress! I’m so excited with how it turned out. It’s just darling. Thank you again so much for sharing this pattern.

27. Sew Anyway says:

I am going to have to put this on my summer “to sew” list. Thank you for making it available. Oh, I also wanted to tell you about a “A Not Too Shabby Summer Swap” – sign up here [http://roxisfriends.blogspot.com].
    I will sign up this weekend.
    Love your blog!

28. Nichole says:

I love this pattern, but for some reason when I download it I get an error. I have downloaded hundrededs of things off the web and never run into this bfore. Doesn’t look lke anyone else is having trouble, so I’m very confused. At any rate, I am dying to make one of these for my soon-to-be baby girl. Any chance you could email me the pdf? Much thanks!

29. bethany says:

Thanks for the pattern! I am having a baby girl soon and could not find any little dresses that weren’t pink and I’m so sick of pink :)
    Here’s what I created!!
    Thanks again!

30. debcll says:

Thanks for sharing this sweet, sweet baby dress pattern! I just finished sewing one for my soon to be born granddaughter and posted my photos to the iitty bitty baby dress flickr pool.

31. lfhcreative says:

Thanks so much for sharing! I made one for my newborn daughter back at the beginning of May and now I am back to see if I can enlarge the pattern for my not so little 2 month old!

32. Celia says:

Wowww, wowwww, wowwww…
    This pattern is really amazingly easy and the pity is that my baby girl is already 17 months old!, lol… I really like it and I find it sooooo easy to follow! It is so complete! I am so happy I have found your blog and will make it one of my favorites to come and check weekly!
    HUgs and thanks!

33. Mary Beth says:

My youngest sister is expecting a baby girl any day now, and when her aunts-in-law and I were planning her baby shower, she said that she wished they made dinosaur dresses for girls, since she is so not a pink-and-frilly person.

I came across your Itty Bitty pattern and thought, “Hey, I can do that!” So I found some dinosaur fabric, and now my soon-to-be-born niece has her very own dinosaur dress!

Thanks for sharing your pattern!

34. Angela says:

Unfortunately, you can’t legally restrict whether or not people make these to sell. They just can’t sell the pattern itself. It’s a sad truth (I design patterns myself), but once it is out there, it’s out there! Thanks for sharing.

35. Mojavi says:

thanks so much for this pattern. WHat a cute dress! I will be making it for my baby due in Oct and my daughter 2 yrs…

36. Heffalump says:

I just made one of these for my 3 month old daughter. Its not nearly as cute as yours, but since its my first real attempt at sewing clothing I am pretty happy with it.
    I posted a pic of it on my blog, but didn’t know how to put one on the flickr pool.

37. Jen and Ethan says:

Same as heffalump, I just started sewing last week and completed the dress today. Thank you so much for the pattern, it has inspired me! Now let’s hope the bulge in my belly is a girl, or Junior will be wearing a lot of cute dresses the first few weeks of his life

38. Robyn says:

I love your pattern Rae! Took me almost no time at all… I managed to do it all while the baby napped! I put a pic on my blog http://manypots.blogspot.com/2008/09/baby-dress.html

39. Thalita Dol says:

Rae, I loved your blog!!
    I linked yours in mine, ok?

I’m eager to try your dress pattern, when I do, I’ll show you!
    Thank you so much, it’s so lovely!

Kisses from Brazil!

40. Meldrims says:

Great pattern Rae! I just made the enlarged pattern into a corduroy dress and added it to your Flicker group. You have a fun blog and you are very crafty! (PS – I went to HS with you!)

41. Meghan says:

Thank you so much! My daughter is getting her first Bitty Baby for Christmas and I wanted to make her a few things to go with it. THANKS!

42. Rachel R. says:

The download doesn’t work for me, either. :( I’ve been trying off and on for months. It says the source file is corrupted.

43. Mrs. Fix says:

Thanks for posting such an awesome pattern. I made one for my sister’s baby and now I’m putting pictures of it on my blog with a link here. Keep the great free patterns coming! You are very talented!

44. The Maxwell Family says:

can someone please email me this pattern? I can’t seem to get it to pull up and would love to make it!
    thanks
    maxwell1200@hotmail.com

45. nichola says:

I also can not get the pattern. Coul someone please email me barninghamfamily@btinternet.com thankyou

46. Bean says:

Rae – I wouldn't mind hosting a mirrored copy of your pattern for you, so it's still available for download! Email me and let me know! <3

47. Jennifer says:

I love this dress! I used to have the pattern but in our move my box of sewing pattern was lost ;( Hopefully you’ll be able to have this up again soon! It’s such an awesome dress :D

48. Cindy says:

I am looking for someone who has the pattern for the itty bitty dress. I saw it a few months ago and couldn’t download it and would love to have the pattern.
    Thanks.

49. hawksnest7 says:

I absolutely love this dress! If anyone has it and is willing to email it to me I would be forever grateful! reller (at) centurytel (dot) net

50. nava_jo says:

I would LOVE if someone could send me a copy of this pattern. My email is Nava.jojo@gmail.com I have tried figuring it out on my own. But I’m not a good seamstress as it is. Thanks!

51. Brenda says:

This is the cutest dress. Can someone email me the pattern?
    Brenda

52. Jill H says:

Hi, what a beautiful dress!! I’m expecting my first in April, and am trying to get some things made for her now. This is just adorable! Could someone please e-mail me the pattern/instructions for this? E-mail address is: harwell1391@charter.net. Thanks so much! :)

53. ana says:

Lovely dress!. I have a 6 months baby girl and I would like to make one. Please, can somebody send me the pattern? i would be very grateful.
    email: iloveabalorios@gmail.com

54. deanna lara says:

hey can someone email me the copy of this pattern for this cute little dress. 5lranch08@gmail.com

55. cassie says:

I cant get teh pattern for this dress. Really I want the infant and toddler sizes. Can someone e-mail it to me? mollypone@hotmail.com

56. mrstolli says:

Okay, I know I saw the pattern on here earlier today, but I couldn’t get my printer to work. Now, I can’t find it! Help! I would really like to make a dress for my little girl due in May. Please email me the pattern. Thanks!

karebear101701@yahoo.com

57. Rae says:

Hello all,
    Sorry about the unreliability…still working out a few glitches here so I appreciate your patience! The pattern seems to be working but the toddler version is still unavailable for now. Just keep checking back and try again later! (:

58. deanna lara says:

Does anyone have the toddler version of this dress? Can you email it to me 5lranch08@gmail.com

59. joy says:

I love this pattern, thank you for making it available. I made it today for my little girl I am expecting this summer.

60. looneymom says:

I really wish that there was an in between size. My daughter is 8m, and is about 18lbs. If you have a version of this, please e-mail me.
    THANKS!

61. Emily says:

Rae – I just made this dress for a friend's baby and it's probably the most adorable thing I've ever made… great work on the pattern & thanks for sharing!

62. Amanda says:

Thanks for this..I am new to sewing and just made this dress for a friend. I will be making more that’s for sure!!! Love it!

63. D. says:

this is the cutest dress. your instructions were great i made it in 1 afternoon on my second day of sewing so of course it didn’t come out perfectly.
    here is my attempt. http://www.burdastyle.com/creations/show/21368

64. Hatuli says:

this dress is so beautiful! thanks for sharing the pattern!

65. Carrie says:

I am on bedrest….expecting a preemie girl in the next couple months. (My son was 3 pounds!) Anyway, I’ve made 4 of these dresses in the past week! Each one turns out better than the last. I use the lining fabric to make the waist band and at the bottom of the skirt. If anyone knows how to make the pattern larger (like for 3 months, 6 months, 9 months, 12 etc. I’d love to know.) I’m not sure how much to increase the top and skirt by for each size. Thanks so much! http://mysite.verizon.net/resqunpm/thenilsenfour/

66. Amélie says:

Hi,
    I am a french girl. Your dress is so cute !! Thanks for sharing the pattern with us !!I would like to share this pattern and also the pattern of the Buttercup Bag with my friends of the forum (http://simplementfemmes.exprimetoi.net/forum.htm). Is it possible ? (with a picture, a link to this pattern and a link to your blog)
    I wait for yor answer.
    Regards
    Lili

67. lanigan says:

Just wanted to let you know your pattern inspired another creation. View my remixed dress here: http://theneatery.wordpress.com/2009/04/19/baby-dress-remix/

Thanks!

68. Cindy says:

I can’t seem to get the pattern. :[ Or the full version of it. Please e-mail it to me. cindy_kins(AT)hotmail.com
    Thank you!

69. Anna says:

Thank you. Going to buy fabric tomorrow for soon to be adopted daughter!

70. Roger and Victoria says:

Thank you for sharing such an ingenious idea with moms all over the world. I am so excited to try it for my girls. Thank you!

71. Jessica says:

Thanks for sharing the pattern. I’ll be making a couple of this dress. It will be a nice baby gift. I know my sister will love it.

72. ONE by one says:

This drees is so cute.

Thanks a lot for the free patterns.

:o )

73. Christy says:

I love reading your blog.
    Thanks for posting the itty bitty baby dress ( and links to toddler size )
    I just made my first one and I love it. The pattern was simple ( I am new to sewing ) and the result is very lovely. I can't wait to give it to my neice. I'm sure she'll request more.
    Christy

74. Baby Gift Baby Shower Girl says:

Very sweet. I love that pattern.

Kelly @ babygiftsandshowers.com

75. Hatcherbee Design says:

I stumbled across your pattern while looking for ideas for doll dresses! I gave it a whirl and with some small changes they fit Build-A-Bear's perfectly! Thank you for sharing this, my daughters bears got a few new dresses this afternoon!

76. Erika says:

I just want to say thank you for the fun pattern. I am currently living in Holland and wasn't able to bring my sewing machine so I have missed sewing very much. I thought I'd give this little dress a try without a machine. I had lots of fun making it and it was so simple. There's a picture of the dress here:

Thank you again. I will for sure try another one of these once I find a good fabric store here!

77. Bobbie says:

I have made 2 versions of your dress. The first one followed your directions exactly (except for the tape). The second I enlarged it (by hand) and added a ruffle. I love this pattern it is so easy to follow. It is so cute on my little girl. I posted a link to your page so that anyone who comes across my blog will know where to go to get directions hope thats ok.

78. Danielle says:

What a wonderful little dress! I just made one for my first little girl:-) Thanks for posting this! I just blogged about it and put up a photo!

79. sweet twee lab says:

This was such an awesome little dress! Just perfect for my soon to arrive little girl. I found the cutest vintage fabric and took a stab at making this. Thanks for the inspiration! Click here to see my dress

80. ebygomm says:

Great pattern, although I'm not sure I've got the sizing right for my rather large 5 month old niece. I get to meet her for the first time on Wednesday, so we will see then :-)

Pics

81. Nicky C. K. says:

great pattern!! I tried it out myself over here and included a link to the pattern on my blog post. the photo contains a link to my pics.

Thanks so much for sharing the pattern! I find out whether my new little one is a boy or a girl next week so I have a 50/50 chance of making another one ;-)

82. Dog Lover says:

I've never sewn anything in my life, even though I have a very nice sewing machine. BUT-I am going to try this, as I have a little girl due in March :)

83. AmyRobynne says:

I loved making this dress for my newborn niece (photo here: http://againstthegrain.typepad.com/against_the_grain/2009/11/photos-from-the-weekend.html) but my SIL tried to put it on her today and couldn't get it over her torso :( The baby is just under 8 lbs. She thought that if it had a zipper or something, it would still work. Is there any way to salvage it?

84. Rae says:

Hello,

I am just beginning to sew and am going to use this pattern for one of my first projects. The pattern looks super simple, and the instructions are great, I just have one question. In the fifth step the instructions say:

5. Using a long stitch, sew around top edge of skirt 1/4" away from the edge. Gather skirt.

I'm a little confused with this. Do I need to just sew around the edge to prevent it from fraying? Also don't know what "Gather skirt" means. I realize this is probably super simple to explain, but I am just beginning so any help would be greatly appreciated. I'm sure I can muddle through regardless and figure it out, but thought I would ask.

My email is rliebtag@gmail.com, if you would prefer to respond that way.

This blog is great, so many fun, simple, cute ideas. Thank you!!! My name is Rae too by the way, so I especially love it.

85. sarahanne says:

What a fun dress. Can't wait to try it out! My little girl is due any day, and she will be about 4 weeks early, would will make the dress perfect for her to wear while meeting her Grandparents!

86. KP says:

thanks so much for the pattern rae, and for the permission to publish the results to my (VERY new) blog. jax got so many compliments on her little dress.

(http://whenyouturnyourfacetothesun.blogspot.com/2010/01/raiding-archives_17.html to see my version)

87. SweetTupelo says:

Thanks so much for this pattern! It looks adorable! I can't wait to give it a try – one of my friends is due next month and this will be a great gift (even if it comes out half as cute as yours!).

88. Brin says:

I made one of these for my baby, she's due here in a bit :) I loove how It came out and I think i'll make another one with more "Easter-y" fabric since she'll be teeny at Easter (if she's here)

89. Tanua says:

I click on the download for the tiny dress and it says it is downloading but the pDF does not show up when finished…is there something wrong with the download that you know of? My little grand was born earlier and tiny so I was wanting to make her some of these if possible…Thank you…it is just what i have been searching for.

90. HANNAH says:

I made this dress last night, the toddler version, and it's beautiful. I made the bodice a little longer and the skirt a little shorter and wider, and it is perfect. I will post a picture in the Flikr Pool as soon as I can. My daughter is the little brunette in the pink w/ rose dress.

91. Tysha says:

I am a very beginning sew-er and got very excited when I found your pattern…I was going crazy getting ready for my baby girl and had so much fun making her one of your dresses. I blogged about it (and of course gave you credit!) and then took her picture in it after she arrived (I am a photographer). Here's the links if you want to see:

Thanks again! I will be sure to make more! It will be fun to see what other treasures you have put on your blog, as well!

92. Mom Crafts says:

Hi Rae! thanks for sharing the pattern. It's great! Here's the itty bitty dress that I made for my daughter. http://momcrafts.blogspot.com/2010/02/my-itty-bitty-dress.html

93. All of Us says:

Do you think that this pattern will work for a doll? I have two little girls (3 and 5) and they love their dolls! I have given them their own newborn clothes for their dolls and it seems to work. What do you think?

94. barbara0621 says:

Thanks so much – and thanks to the person who made the enlargement!!!
    My grand daughter requested a matching doll dress so I found a pattern for the internet (it had sleeves)). I'll upload a picture later.

95. Rita says:

Thanks for sharing this pattern. When I saw this dress I knew I wanted to make one for my daughter I'm expecting in May. It turned out darling. You come up with the best stuff!!!!

96. smeelay says:

This is a beautiful pattern. I made a reversible version for my daughter this week. I can't wait for warmer weather so she can wear it all the time!

97. loveinthehome says:

Thank you for this wonderful pattern. Here is my version.

98. Lynn Nasir says:

hello Rae,

Thank you so much for the free pattern and for sharing it with us all. It is cute!! I just made one, here:

99. mommybear1230 says:

I just made the toddler version of this dress for my 2yr old, and I love it! Thank you! It's so cute, I'm going to make a couple for a friend's baby who is due in June.

100. Erin says:

Thank you!!! My sweet pea is due in 3 months and I can't find anything I like in stores suitable for her baptism…I'm just beginning to learn how to sew & I can't wait to give this one a try!

101. The Math Ninja says:

I have to say that this dress is cute. Even my husband thinks so. It's the first thing I've made for our on-the-way daughter that he thinks is cute. :) That is a huge accomplishment.

There's a pic of the dress at the bottom of this post: http://mathninja.blogspot.com/2010/04/another-lack-of-pictures.html

Muchas gracias for sharing!

102. Jennifer says:

I just saw this link recently on Homemade by Jill. I am due in August with a baby girl, so I made this for her "homecoming dress." Thank you so much for posting – I love it!!

103. Felicia says:

Just wanted to let you know I linked back to this post, after I finished my dress!

104. sheila says:

thank you! i had so much fun making this for my niece!

105. Julie says:

The download link isn't working for me :(

106. Pearalta says:

The little flowery dress is extremely adorable…thanks for sharing,
    Esperança

107. Betsey Lee says:

Like some of you… the file won't pull up on my computer either! I would love to have it. If someone has it, could you email it to me???
    betslee2000@yahoo.com

Thanks -

108. Val Miller says:

just made this for a baby girl that is due in september!! Thanks!!

109. Shelia says:

Oh, thank you so much for this free pattern. The little dress is just adorable! I've just had my first little grand baby girl. She's four months and I can adjust this to fit her! Oh, it's such a growny dress for the little pink girls! If and when I make this darling dress, I'll post about it and will certainly have the link to your blog!! Thank you again.
    Be a sweetie,
    Shelia ;)

110. Sew Shine says:

I blogged about your dress pattern and thought I had sent a trackback to your site, but I don't see it now. Just wanted you to know that your site was linked to in my post! Thanks for the awesome pattern!

Rebekah

111. Kyly says:

Hi there, I really want to make this dress – in a more recent post you said not to use the marker on paper pattern as you were making a better digital one – is this the more recent pattern or the do not use one?

112. Ana's Baby Couture says:

Beautiful!

113. Helen says:

Thanks for the beautiful pattern- it turned out lovely and my little Violet looked beautiful on her first birthday!!

Helen

114. barbara0621 says:

I made the toddler size dress and a matching one for the doll out of Japanese Chrysanthem.um print that I got in Hawaii – it was magnificent. In the winter, my grand-daugher wore it as a jumper, in the summer it was a sundress.
    Many thanks.
    Barbara R.

115. Beth @ Sand To Pearl says:

This is just adorable. Thanks for taking the time to share it with everyone.

116. Beth @ Sand To Pearl says:

I'm also giving you a blogger award for this:

117. Glenda says:

Did you revise your pattern yet? I made the dress for my granddaughter but she is small for her age (in the 3 percentile for her weight & height) but her head is in the 50% range' therefore, even though I enlarged the pattern, the waist would not fit over her head.

The toddler size fit great for my niece. It's a beautiful dress!!

118. vanessa says:

hi rae? i love the dress. how do i get the pattern? i never sew a dress but i would like to learn.i have a daughter and buying clothes is to expensive. i love the color of your choice. thanks!

119. Jessica England says:

Hi Rae, Thank you so so so much for this super cute dress pattern!! I have been sewing for a few months now and decided to start my own blog (mostly to show off my homemade clothes to friends and family that live far away) I just wanted you to know that I mentioned you in my blog and your Itty Bitty Dress Pattern.

Thanks again, you Rock!
    Cheers,
    Jessica

120. Jenete says:

Thank you for the free pattern. I finally was able to post some pictures of the three dresses I made.http://www.made-by-rae.com/2008/04/free-itty-bitty-baby-dress-pattern.html

I liked your pattern soo much I couldn't stop at one!! I put your dress together with an heirloom blommer pattern that I found online for free also.

121. Loni Harris says:

Hey Rae! Thanks for the pattern. I picked up some adorable strawberry print vintage fabric at a yard sale the other day and it looks adorable in this dress. Link:

122. Stew and Lindsey Campbell says:

Thanks for the pattern!! I just finished sewing this dress (I made it a tad bigger, because I'm thinking my baby will be big) and it is SO SO CUTE! I can't stop squealing to myself!! I'm just sad that she won't stay that size so she can wear it forever! I'll have to make a toddler dress too! Thanks! :)

123. Anonymous says:

I am a very new to sewing, but really want to try this dress!!! How in the world do I put this together?? Help
    Dmwilliams2@cox.net. Looking forward to any help please!!! Thank you!
    Denise

124. Stephanie Rose says:

My friend found out (via doctors and specialists) that her baby will be smaller than expected. Smaller, yet they expect her to be healthy. I am thinking this would be perfect. I would love to link and give credit to your pattern over on my blog – if that's ok with you (once I am finished, of course)

125. Carlee Dynes says:

I made this pattern a few months ago and it was adorable! Thank for the awesome free pattern. I blogged about it here.

126. Linda says:

Thanks for the free pattern. My youngest daughter has a Build-A-Bear and I can't afford new clothes for it. Your Itty Bitty Baby Dress is just the right size for her bunny! I was able to construct the dress out of 2 fat quarters that had been sitting around for a while. Thanks again!!

127. Rachel says:

Here is my version:http://withlovebyrach.blogspot.com/2011/03/raes-itty-bitty-baby-dress.html

Thanks again!

I added a couple tips at the end that might be helpful to a beginning seamstress.

128. Anonymous says:

I made this dress yesterday with my friend. I'm a beginner sewer so this was my very first project. I had my friend help me along with it and it was great as it helped me to learn a lot of different technique. We were able to finish in about 3-4 hours. Lots of fun. Definitely recommend it.

129. Penny says:

Gorgeous!!! I made two of these dresses over the past two weeks, managing to kill my sewing machine in the process! I love the fabric selections you have used! I went a bit 'out there' on one! Are there any Winter dresses from newborn to 3 months available? As 'Down' here Autumn is here and bub is expected in the coldest month. Would love to try my hand at a few new things on my new machine! Thanks!!

130. Camie Rae says:

Thanks so much for your amazing pattern! And tutorial! It was so easy to make! LOVE IT!!!

I credited you on my blog here:

Thanks again! I basically love everything you do!

131. Isadora says:

Thanks so much for the free pattern!!! I love it! I made a variation for my 3.5 month old to wear to her very first birthday party.

132. Lisa says:

I made the itty bitty baby dress and simple baby pants and they turned ot AMAZING I love your stuff its so simple and easy to make :D

133. mujerboricua says:

Hello!

I loved your pattern. I am hoping my niece will look adorable in it. I posted a picture of the dress I completed and I linked it back to the pattern/blog entry.

Thanks again for sharing your gorgeous pattern. I'm still learning so I found it great for a beginner. Sadly I got confused over how to apply the bias tape. Maybe I will sort it out next time.

134. Adrienne says:

Just finished an itty bitty dress. I am now flushed with baby fever! Thankfully it will be in the mail to a friend with a super preemie that is now ready for the dress! Thanks for making the pattern available! http://tinypic.com/m/egyhp0/2

135. SkyLeanne says:

I saw your dress on Living with Punks and just had to take a chance at making it since I have a little girl due in 8 weeks…it took me about half the day to do it since I've never made clothes before, but I L-O-V-E the way it turned out! I don't know how to post a pic of it or I would, thanks so much for putting this pattern out there for us to use!!!

136. nana cupcake says:

as a brand new Gran only on the job 8 days this is just the sort of thing i'm looking to make my very first grand daughter can't wait to see more
    many thanks sweetpea will love it

137. NinyaBella says:

This is so awesome! Thanks for posting! I recently started sewing and plan to make my friend a dress for her baby, she isn't due for another 5 months so this should be a fun first project.

138. Grace says:

When my granddaughter was born in January, I made her first dress in an Air Force fabric and everyone loved it, I've since made a red/white/blue stars one for when my daughter takes her to soldier home comings. I also made one in Shamrocks (St. Patty's) and pink daisys (Easter). I even made her one in pirate fabric complete with a red bandanna for Gasparilla Festival (they live in Tampa)THanks so much!

139. Anonymous says:

Eeek! I just came across this pattern, and I would like to make a take home outfit for our little girl. Is seam allowance included in the pattern? Also, what is the seam allowance?
    Thanks,
    Carmen

140. Liz @ LivingMySweetLife says:

I made this dress and I LOVE LOVE LOVE it. It makes me wish I had a baby girl of my own to sew it for! Here is mine: http://livingmysweetlife.blogspot.com/2011/05/little-red-dress.html

Thank you for the generous tutorial =)

141. Amy says:

Just wanted to thank you for the great pattern! Posted my finished project, with a link to your page, here:

142. Ana Banana says:

Thank you so much for posting this pattern! I love it! A few weeks ago I converted a wedding dress into a graduation dress for a friend's daughter. When my friend let me have the leftover fabric, I told her I wanted to make a baby dress with it. A few days ago I found your blog and the pattern, and here is the dress! I want to donate it to a charity organization, hoping it goes to a needy mom. BTW, I used a quarter inch seam allowance.

Check out my pictures. I posted a link to the pattern on my blog: http://anabanananutbread.blogspot.com/search/label/Itty%20Bitty%20Baby%20Dress

143. Prudently Painted Vintage says:

I made this dress today! It turned out simply adorable. Check it out on my blog

I linked back for tutorial, of course :)

144. Double Glazing Kidderminster says:

Nice pattern! I wanna learn more about designing kids dress. Thanks for sharing your talent with us.

145. I’m not that considerably of a on line reader to be honest but your internet sites genuinely nice, maintain it up! I’ll go ahead and bookmark your web site to come back later.

146. Lulu says:

Hi there,

I just started sewing this year, and am thrilled to find this pattern! I’ve downloaded Amber’s pattern for size 3T and can’t wait to make this dress for my daughter. Seeing that you’re asking people to ask for permission to link to the pattern/pics featured here, can I? :) Thanks!!!

147. sue caissy says:

Hi Rae…have just linked to this page…thank you so much for the pattern..I love it!

Sue xxx

148. Amy says:

Hi, I just wanted to thank you so much for you very generously offered pattern, and I wanted to tell you that your newborn size also makes a very easy sundress for American girls. I just adjusted the skirt size and added a little bit of length to the bodice so it looked more like an older girls dress instead of a baby dress. Thanks again, this turned out to be a perfect last minute gift for a little friend who really wanted me to make her doll clothes.

149. Terri says:

I am looking for patterns that I can adapt for special needs babies. The clothing would be given in a care package to the new parents. Currently, I would be working from my fabric stash but I could see a time when I would be reembursed for fabric/supplies but not for labor. Would you have a problem with this use of your patterns?

150. Smitha says:

I just posted a couple pics on my blog of the itty bitty dress I made. Thanks for sharing the pattern!! It was very simple and easy to follow :)

151. Cucinalkemika says:

Hi, I’ve downloaded your marvellous pattern, so Thank you. best reguards, cucinalkemika

152. Annie says:

Thank you so much for this super cute dress pattern and tutorial!
    I have made two dresses so far for my 18 months old.
    Thank you!

153. Pixiedust says:

Hi! I absolutely LOVE this dress. I hope it is ok to “pin” it onto my “crafts I want to make” board on Pinterest. They do link it back to your website.

154. Clara says:

thank you very much for this pattern. I made it for my new niece, but I made something wrong because i cant´t made the knot… maybe the fabric is not the correct

155. Sara says:

Thank so much for your wonderful tutorial. I linked it back to your wonderful website and tried my own. :-) I had a really fun time with your wonderful tutorial and maybe someday my dress will come out as pretty as yours did.

156. Grace L says:

Thanks for sharing Rae! It’s an adorable pattern and ridiculously easy to sew. I scaled the smallest version of the bodice to 75% of the original size and it fits American Girl Bitty Baby dolls perfectly.

157. Lacey says:

THANK YOU for a great pattern/tutorial! I made an itty bitty dress for a friend’s preemie, and added a petticoat and matching headband. You can see pictures here, if you’d like: http://www.therumleyfamily.com/2011/sew-adorable-a-dress-for-baby-brooklyn/. Thanks for inspiring me!

158. Shannon says:

I just wanted to say thank you for posting such a cute pattern!! I absolutely LOOOOOOVE this dress and wish I could make 90 of them! I made one, a little bigger than itty bitty, and posted it on my craft blog. There is a link to this page and I borrowed the title picture, but gave credit to you. Let me know if you want me to remove the pic. Thanks again and you are so talented! Yours is one of my favorite blogs!

159. Debbie says:

Thank you for sharing your pattern! I made it this weekend and its adorable!

160. Marisa says:

Love the pattern! As a beginner I was able do this easily! One question – if you don’t do the optional lining what do you suggest to do with the raw edge of the fabric at the top? Probably a stupid question – but again, self-taught beginner :) Thanks!

161. Mary kate says:

I LOVE IT! im going to make a big girl one! its to cute and would be great as a weekend dress for my crazy adventures!!

162. It is fun sewing baby clothes specially for my children. That’s why I am always looking for a pattern that I can do during weekend. And I think I found the another one.

163. Courtney says:

Hi! I’m new to the blog and found this tutorial this morning on a google search. It was SO EASY! I was looking for something to simple to whip up for my cousin’s newborn baby so I could bring it with me to visit at the hospital, and I was able to make this in about 45 minutes. So beautiful, too! When I get a chance I’ll upload a pic. Thank you for this pattern!

164. Angela says:

I have made 10 dresses from this pattern and have 3 more in the works. I have tried the tie arms, a regular little tank top arm, added a little butterfly sleeve and they are all wonderful. Also, I have started making the back open with snaps. I find it a lot easier to roll your baby into a dress rather than putting them over their head. My daughter is now 3 months old so I am continuing to enlarge the pattern to make her new fabric combinations.

Thank you so much for sharing this pattern. I really enjoy making these dresses. I have started crocheting little baby afghans and making the itty bitty baby dress in a coordinating color with a pair of mary janes and giving them as gifts and donations to charaties. I have always loved sewing but this pattern has made it so much fun.

165. Stacey says:

Thank you for the free pattern! I just finished the first dress I ever made, and it turned out wonderful!! :) I think I made the ties a hair too short but they still work! Can’t wait to give it to my best friend, who just had her first baby 2 days ago. I made a quilt and throw pillow for her prior to baby’s arrival and used some of the left over material to make the dress. I used very light beige baby corduroy and a sweet roe and sage paisley print. Used a mint green print that coordinated with the paisley as my bias tape and piping. Now, if I can just keep MY kids’ hands off of it long enough to gift to the real baby….they want it for their babydolls! Thanks again! Super easy to follow, even for a beginner!

166. Heena Khan says:

I love this pattern and the fabric. Where did you get the fabric?

167. jana says:

Thank you so much! I just made the CUTEST dress for my little girl who is due next month. I am so happy to finally have something to do with the fabric scraps I’ve been hoarding away:)

168. Jennifer says:

I just finished this dress! Love it! Thank you!!
    I made from flannel and it’s super cute. I’m not so savvy as to know how to attach a pic on this but will email if you’d like.

169. Fe says:

I just finished this dress. It was so quick and easy and turned out so great!

If I could put a picture in here, I would. But I have one on my Pinterest if you want to see my spin on this awesome pattern.

Thank you so much for sharing it!

170. Crystal says:

Just finished my itty bitty dress :)
    I’ve not sewn anything since home ec in the 8th grade but my dress turned out pretty cute!
    You can see it on my Pinterest Board ‘Completed DIY Projects’ found here:: http://pinterest.com/pin/145804106655901275/

Thanks for the pattern!

171. hidhaya says:

Thank u for sharing this,,:) im about to made some dresses for my niece :) for our celebration of Eid milad un Nabi ,, thank u!!

172. I love this pattern and the fabric. Where did you get the fabric?

173. Max says:

Oh Rae! I was so excited because I want to make my impending baby girl a tiny dress {I have absolutely NOTHING to use as a pattern so I was so happy to find this!} but the download link doesn’t work :< Just letting you know! And please if you could let me know if you ever get around to fixing it?

xx

174. Sofie says:

I took up sewing in September and have made some five items so far. The Itty Bitty Baby Dress has been the most successful so far. I made a yellow-and-white flowery dress with flower buttons for my godchild-to-be (due in March!) Thx so much, Rae, for all your help and superb tutes!!

175. Sofie says:

Forgot to add that you can find a picture of my dress on http://www.flickr.com/photos/75636294@N06/

176. Jennifer says:

Love this dress… just that the PDF seems to be damaged or something because I can’t open the downloaded file. Hope you can fix it

177. jan myhre says:

We found our way to your blog, but the instructions for assembling the itty bitty dress are nowhere to be found. HELP, please.

178. Wow!! You have sewed a beautiful dress.Keep sewing.Your older version of this dress were also very nice.I’m still learning sewing.I have yet to sew clothes, and I think this might be a good thing to try.I will surely try this pattern of dress for my baby.Thanks for posting.

179. ashley says:

love this dress. i just made it for my little niece. i got a sewing machine last weekend and this is my first dress. my niece is almost 8 months and 18 pounds, so for everyone’s reference, i enlarged the original bodice pattern to 121% (my copy machine picked that random number) and cut along the outside line (the 9-11 pound option). for the skirt, i cut two 10×19 rectangles. it fits her with just a little room for her to grow. i couldn’t find piping, so i used rickrack (i sewed it on after i attached the skirt, on top of that stitch). and i used extra fabric from the lining to make my own bias tape, since i couldn’t find a color that matched so well. thanks so much for this pattern! here’s a link to mine: http://ashleylois.blogspot.com/2012/03/shayna-dress.html

180. Hi rae… thanks a lot for this cute pattern… I’ve stitched one for my sister’s cutie…. and her little son liked it very much… and saying that as “mom this is a rabbit dress”…. I sewed after a very long time…. thanks once again Rae…. Here is the link….

181. Cris says:

I made this dress for my friend’s baby, who was born at 33 weeks, 4 lbs 2 oz. Even preemie clothes are too big for her, so I shrank the pattern to 90% and it came out so cute! I’m a bit rusty with the sewing machine but this was so simple even I managed to make it :)

182. CliffaWareing says:

I love the dress. I can’t wait to make it for my new granddaughter. However, I am having trouble downloading the pattern. Not sure if it is just me or if there is in fact a problem.
    Thanks

183. jen says:

soooo excited to make this!!! When I had my first daughter I didn’t sew (20months ago) and she fit nothing but sleepers (and even those were huge on her – 6lbs 11oz). anyways we just found out we are having another girl at the end of summer and I want to have something cute she can actually fit and wear home!

184. crystalyn says:

i am going to attempt this tommorrow but dont know how to do gathering…. any tips? thanks, when its done i will post pics. my daughter is 8 days old and born at week 29 thank you for sharing this pattern i have been looking for something cutesy and free since i am broke.

185. Kathy says:

Thanks so much for posting this pattern. It was very easy to follow. My daughter and I both found this pattern separately and we both made it ( in different sizes and material) for our soon to arrive granddaughter/daughter.

186. Whitney says:

Thank you so much for this sweet pattern! I made one this morning and LOVE how it turned out (I didn’t add the piping, but definitely will next time as I love what it adds). Here’s the link:

Thanks again!

187. jesi says:

This is the summer of babies for all of my friends and this dress is EXACTLY what i have been looking for. So simple and perfect for these summer babies because it gets HOT down here. Thanks for putting this one together!

188. ~*jane*~ says:

Just wanted to say thank you for this lovely pattern and tutorial. I first made this dress for all of my eldest son’s little girlfriends… now finally with a daughter of my own, I’m really able to appreciate the cuteness and versatility of this dress.
    Posted about it here:

189. sharon says:

I thought I would share the dress I made for my granddaughter using your pattern :-)

190. Rebecca says:

Used this to make a homecoming dress for our first girl (after 4 boys!), I used your newborn pants to make the bloomers too. The eyelet fabric is the remnants from the Blessing dress my grandmother made for me a a baby 31 years ago. :) https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=4463749315945&set=a.2134859255149.2127414.1356099624&type=1&theater

191. Wen says:

I love this…so cute. We’re heading in to summer here now, so I think I’ll make one for my littlest munchkin! Thanks for sharing!!

192. Melissa says:

Dear Rae,

Thank you so much for posting this. I made this pattern for my month-old niece – your great instructions inspired me to make this as my first ever garment made from scratch!

I didn’t use the bias tape on the top but it still ended up looking very cute!

193. Janneke says:

Thank you for the lovely pattern. I made the dress today for my soon-to-be-born baby, in brown-greyish with red roses. The lining and piping are in red and white chequered cotton.

194. skye says:

hi there i cannot seem to find the tutorial on how this dress goes together i managed to get the toddler size pattern, but cannot find any tutorial at all even for the itty bitty one.

195. Elisabeth says:

Superbe cette robe, bien que pas très douée en anglais, je vais me servir des schémas pour essayer de la confectionner, merci pour le partage, et bonne fêtes de fin d’année.Elisabeth

196. Kee Rukiah Ojima says:

Thank you for the free pattern. It is perfect for my grand niece….

197. Leny van Dam says:

Yesterday I made the dress and I am so happy with it!

It is very cute and for my grand-daughter.

Thank you very much for the pattern AND the explanation.

I am Dutch and I could read the description.

198. ANNA MARIA says:

m’he encanta aquet vestit pero voldria saber que per una nena de 2 anys quines mides tindria de eser.
    Moltes gracies

199. Cassy says:

LOVE this pattern! I’ve only been sewing for about a month, but I managed to sew this dress for our new daughter due in 8 weeks. It turned out wonderful! Thank you so much.

200. Thanks a lot for this easy to use pattern. I just sewn one for my baby girl and have it posted on my blog… ;)

201. Lia says:

Cute little dress! Thanks for sharing the pattern. Going to make one for my niece.

202. Laura says:

Hi Rae, I’ve loved this dress at first sight! I’ve made two of them in a month or less. One for a newborn for which I’ve cut the larger pattern and one for a chubby 7month old for which I enlarged the pattern myself measuring her “waist” and “chest” :)
    You can find some pictures here https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=462337787179892&set=pb.385478498199155.-2207520000.1369852082.&type=3&theater and here https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=472210609525943&set=pb.385478498199155.-2207520000.1369852082.&type=3&theater
    I’m going to promote your pattern there!
    Thanks again :)

203. Judy says:

This is Simplicity pattern #4268 for 18″ dolls. I’ve made it. But your dress is very pretty. Thank you.

204. Jenny says:

I love this pattern! It was so quick and easy! I have made one of the little dresses from a remnant (only 30cm!) and I intend to keep it in my bottom drawer until our bundle of joy arrives at some point in the future. I have posted my attempt on my blog and promoted your site there. Hope thats ok!
    Thanks again!

205. Morwenna Prisk says:

I made this dress for my friend’s 9 month old baby. I added 3cm onto the pattern all round and it fitted her like a dream. I think I would make the straps a bit longer for it next time though. It is a great pattern, thanks so much.

206. This pattern was so simple to use! had to make another for my niece once she saw my daughters! Thanks for sharing. Great post will share with friends.

207. Jessica says:

I used this pattern to make a dress for my 1 month old which weighs 11 lbs (she was 9lbs 4 oz at birth) I added to outside of pattern the same amount in which u had already added listed for 9-11 lbs and it fits perfect. So as a tip to others who have a big baby a 10lb baby needs it a lil bigger than ur pattern. I also made straps a little longer. I modified it too. Instead of piping and binding tape i used a different color for chest and used material and made a ruffle on bottom edge. Thank you for the pattern!

208. Hello! I just want to give you a big thumbs up for your excellent information you have right here on this post.
    I am coming back to your blog for more soon.

My blog: ダウンジャケット 超歓迎 ラルフローレン

209. Heya! I realize this is sort of off-topic however I had to ask.
    Does managing a well-established website like yours require
    a lot of work? I’m brand new to operating a blog however
    I do write in my diary on a daily basis. I’d like to
    start a blog so I will be able to share my personal experience and feelings
    online. Please let me know if you have any recommendations or
    tips for new aspiring blog owners. Appreciate it!

210. Debbie says:

Can’t get this pattern to download. Wondering what I am doing wrong. My niece has twin girls and I would love to make it for them.

211. auto says:

Great info. Lucky me I came across your website by chance (stumbleupon).
    I’ve book marked it for later!

212. Natalie Cox says:

How would I enlarge pattern for a 6-9 month old? Thanks

213. Butterfly says:

Love the dress but any chance for an updated pattern for an 18 month old please? Thanks.

214. Kellie Oke says:

i really love this dress but i am uncomfortable with enlarging the pattern on my own. :(