Rose is a high-waisted pants and shorts sewing pattern featuring slash pockets and a pleated or gathered front. The front waist is flat while the back waist is elasticized for comfort and style. Choose from three lengths: long, cropped, or shorts.
This item is featured in the following blog posts:
- Fanciful Rose Pants
- My favorite fabrics for Rose pants (and shorts)
- Jess’ brussels washer Rose shorts
- Rose pants in viscose-linen
- Jess’ silk noil Rose + Gemma set
- Rose inspiration
- Rose Pants Tester Roundup, vol. 2
- Rose Pants Tester Roundup, vol. 1
- Rose is here!
- Rose pattern feature: gathers vs. pleats
- Rose pattern feature: waistband elastic options
- Get Ready for Rose!
- Gold linen Rose shorts
- Essex Linen Rose Pants
- Pattern progress: Rose pants!
Yardage & Materials
For Rose, you’ll need woven (not knit) fabric. Choose light to medium weight woven fabric such as tencel twill, rayon challis, linen-rayon blends, silk noil, loose-weave cotton or linen blends, stretch twill, cotton sateen, or chambray. In general: look for fabrics that have good drape and/or a looser weave; thicker “bottom weight” fabrics are not always recommended due to the elastic back waistband. While wovens with a small degree of stretch may work for this pattern, please note that Rose is not designed for knit fabric.
First choose find which view (long, cropped, short) you’d like to make. Then choose the width of your fabric and find the fabric requirement for your size.
Please note that while we make every effort to provide generous yardage recommendations to account for fabric shrinkage and pattern piece placement, if you have a one-way or directional fabric print, a fabric with nap, or need to add length to the pattern, you may need more fabric than listed.
You’ll Also Need:
- 3/4″ (19 mm)* wide elastic for the back waistband – depending on your size, you’ll need between 24-50″ [0.6-1.2m] in length, total.
- 1/4 yd / 0.2 m lightweight fusible interfacing (for interfacing narrower than 20” wide, sizes 1 and up will require ½ yd / 0.4 m)
- coordinating thread
* OR substitute 1.5″ / 38 mm wide elastic if you prefer a single channel of elastic; you’ll need half the total length as needed for 3/4″ / 19 mm wide elastic. I’ll post later this week about back waistband elastic options for more details on elastic widths.
(FYI: I buy all of my garment elastic and interfacing from Fashion Sewing Supply. I like their Pro-sheer elegance interfacing for the waistband. Not sponsored, just a great source. See this post.)